Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Streamline Moderne - It's Aerodynamic!

Wow, two posts in one day! What the hell is wrong with me? Anyways, I've just realized two new obsessions of mine. One: Streamline Moderne. Streamline Moderne was a type of Art Deco art style that was prominent in furniture and architecture. I discovered it while looking up facts I could slip in to an ode about a toaster I'm writing.


A Streamline Moderne Diner

The 1951 Buick LeSabre - Arguably the coolest
Streamline Moderne automobile ever sold


... and last, but certainly not least, that shiny, chrome,

Streamline Moderne toaster that I think everyone has

owned at least once in their life



The second thing that I am now obsessed with is the color Cosmic Latte. 'What is Cosmic Latte?' you may ask. Well, you foolish naïf, Cosmic Latte is the color of the universe. WHAT? THE COLOR OF THE UNIVERSE?! That's right. Apparently, some nerds over at Johns Hopkins took a survey and found out the colors of over 200,000 galaxies and averaged them out on the color spectrum. In other words, they took a bunch of paints, mixed them in a bucket and ended up with one color! But seriously, all joking aside, they ended up with a creamy, off-white color and sent in a poll to the Washington Post to see what the name should be. Some guy read it while he was at Starbucks (I'm assuming he was wearing a scarf and typing Blank Verse poetry on his Gateway laptop, too) and noticed it was the color of his latte. He sent in his suggestion for the color's name - Cosmic Latte - and ended up winning! Thank you, Mr. Hipster*, you've done the scientific community proud.



Cosmic Latte!



Also a Cosmic Latte!



*Actually, the guy's name was Peter Drum

1 comment:

  1. I too just discovered that Streamline Moderne is my passion! I didn't know it had a name but I discovered it when googling the gorgeous Mercury Train. And I still own one of those toasters ;-)

    ReplyDelete